Click for live chat!
This is your default message which you can use to announce a sale or discount.

Pennsylvania Car Insurance Requirements

You must have car insurance to legally drive in Pennsylvania. If you’ve just moved to Pennsylvania, you must have at least the state’s minimum insurance to avoid penalties. To stay on the road in the Keystone State, you must have at least the following minimum insurance:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage. Bodily injury liability coverage compensates anyone who you hurt in a car accident. You need to have at least $15,000 worth of bodily injury liability coverage per accident in Pennsylvania and $30,000 per accident.
  • Property damage liability coverage. Property damage liability coverage compensates anyone whose property you damage during an accident. You need to have at least $5,000 worth of property damage liability coverage to stay on the road in Pennsylvania.
  • First party benefits. “First party benefits” is a special type of coverage that provides a variety of medical benefits. You must have at least $5,000 worth of first party benefits as a driver in Pennsylvania.

Accident lawyers in Bucks County know that if you’re caught driving without the minimum insurance in Pennsylvania, you can face some pretty tough penalties. On your first offense, you can face a fine of $300, have your vehicle impounded, and see your driver’s license suspended for three months. You’ll also need to pay a $50 restoration fee to regain your driving privileges after your suspension expires.

Of course, these fiscal penalties will pale in comparison to what you’ll need to pay if you’re involved in an accident without insurance and you injure someone. Don’t take the risk — get the minimum coverage you need before you hit the road.

Unfortunately, not every driver on the road carries the state-minimum requirements. If you’ve been involved in an accident with a driver who was on the road without insurance, you need help from a car accident lawyer in Buck County, PA. After an accident, contact Kalikhman & Rays at 215-792-2963. We’ll have you determine if you have a case and the next best steps.